There are millions of people who want to create the next Unicorn Startup. Some of them are considered Entrepreneurs but most of them rather as Wantrepreneurs. However the Lazypreneur has different motives. The Lazypreneur does not try to create him more work, he tries to make his creations work for him.
Yes. It is basically passive income with a fancy new noun.
Where the Lazypreneur originated from
It was always there, he is just never as visible as the entrepreneurs. Hence every somewhat successful bank robber is considered one, but this is not what we want to reach here (i hope).
Think back when search engines became a thing. Some created revolutionary new search engines and put a lot of effort into optimizing them, while others studied how it works just well enough to exploit it for their needs. Blackhat SEO as we call it today seemed the perfect lazy business, but also creative. Some of them were just boilerplate websites mirroring search phrases, others at least mirrored other sites. Clearly modern search engines are not being tricked that easy. For sake of the Internet I am glad this is over, even thought I never could take profit from it back then.
Motives to get a get Lazypreneur
There are many great reasons to have a lucrative side business that does not need much work. I have collected some great motives for reference.
- Its is extra money without much work. I mean could that ever hurt?
- You can buy things. Probably even expensive things!
- You can Travel, do expensive Hobbies or just upgrade your lifestyle.
- Did i already mention that it is extra money without much work? Well it is!
So what are some fields for a modern Lazypreneur?
Some classics that dominate Reddits /r/entrepreneur as much as any places for online Get-rich-quick schemes.
- Affiliate Websites – A popular one being ThisIsWhyImBroke.com. In reality only a few succeed with a lazy approach, most successful sites are very active in marketing and social media. Also it can get time-consuming very fast if you search products and write yourself.
- Dropshipping – Sell for someone else. Except you find a perfect niche you most likely also have to do a lot of marketing and social media to succeed.
- Blogging – Blogging is the thing since years. But making money from a blog is not exactly an easy task. Most people can rather profit from their Blog as platform for other projects. You can also create a super successful blog with many fancy articles. But that’s everything else than lazy.
If you look for an real job where you are your own boss all of them are somewhat viable. I tried all of them with some success. But none of these things would pay me more than a few six packs per month without requiring way to much work already. It also really hard to find a niche without a lot of competition.
The harsh reality
There is no such thing as a perfect recipe to create a side business that generates money passively. There are many ideas that could work if done right, but most of them also need a lot of work and skills. But if you have some skills and are ready to spend the minimal amount of time to create a minimum viable product and just go for it. There might be something to get out for you.